IBEW 37th Convention

One union members report on the 37th Convention of the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW). This is unoffical and unsanctioned.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Chicago, Illinois, United States

Sunday, September 10, 2006

The 37th IBEW Convention

The 37th International Convention of the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers will be held September 11-15, 2006 in Cleveland, Ohio, at the Cleveland Convention Center.

This year marks the 115th anniversary of the founding of the IBEW. The theme of the convention is “Rhythm of the Past, Drumbeat of the Future,” symbolizing the union’s respect for its long history and commitment to growth and remaining on the leading edge of technology in all aspects of the electrical industry of the future.

I'm just a "working stiff" selected by the members of my local union, IBEW Local 1220 in Chicago, to attend as one of the delegates from our local. I'll be leaving this afternoon, Sunday 9/10/06, along with Madeleine Monaco (Business Manager of Local 1220) and Jim Sterne (Business Agent) - the other two delegates from our local.

The number of delegates each local union sends depends on the size of the local, and I think there will be several thousand delegates from all over the US and Canada. I'm going to be a very small fish in a very large pond and know that I'm unlikely to have any considerable influence on the actions taken at this convention.

It's a tough job, but somebody's gotta do it.

If all goes well, and I understand this blog-thing (this is my first attempt!) I'm hoping to post updates here of the activities and my impressions of the affair.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home